Monday, June 14, 2010

First Day of Work!

So the days here are way longer than I expected. I have to leave for work at 9:10, and then I'm at work 9:30 to 6:40 but have a 2 hour break for lunch. So weird hours I guess.

I really enjoyed teaching the pre-schoolers. It was really fun. Today's word of the day was "come". So I had the stand in a line and call the the next person in line across the room, "______(Name), Please come here."  The 4 year olds ate that up.  Also all the children seem to have American names.

Anyways, really very tired, will update more extensively tomorrow, hopefully with some pictures of my neighborhood!

5 comments:

  1. So glad you like it so far! Did they give you a set curriculum or did you decide what to do with them? And a lot of the kids I had for VBS went by American names in school and their Korean names at home. Might be a similar situation.
    ~Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a somewhat set curriculum, but it is only a guideline, I am free to teach them what I want. For now though, I am sticking to the curriculum, cause I don't know the students (or myself) well enough to venture off and do something else. And yes, all of the kids have American names - except one - he's an older boy 16 and refuses to have a English name because he thinks it's stupid.
    There are a few "American" names that I have trouble with though. Like one of the kids is named Denev. For some reason that's hard for me. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, I think it's so stupid that you can't reply to comments on blogger. Just have to post a whole new comment...Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is "Denev" an American name? Never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it is, but it's the kid's non-Korean name. I have the hardest time remembering his name when i call on him in class. And it's also very weird to pronounce.

    ReplyDelete